During the Three Kingdoms Period, Dalgubul was merged to Silla and got the name Dalgu Hwahyun (Dalgubul/Dalbul). Then, during the Unified Silla Period, the name changed from Dalgu Hwahyun to Daegu in the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok (757). In the 9th year of King Hyeonjong in Joseon Dynasty, Daegu was transferred to Gyeongsan part and had governor in the 21st year of King Injong.
In the 1st year of King Sejong in Joseon Dynasty, the four regions were integrated and were elevated to Daegu-gun. Then, in the 12th year of King Sejo, Daegu-gun was elevated to Daegu Dohobu.
In the 26th year of King Yeongjo, Lee Ryang Chae appealed for changing the Chinese character for Daegu (from 大丘 to 大邱). During the period of King Jeongjo and King Hyeonjong, both Chinese characters were used. However, after the King Cheoljong, only Daegu (大邱) was used. In May 26, 1895, the name was changed from Daegu Dohobu to Daegu-bu. Then, in accordance with the enforcement of local government act in August 15, 1949, the name was changed from Daegu-bu to Daegu-si. In July 1st, 1981, Daegu-si was elevated to a city under the direct control of the central government. In January 1st, 1995, the name was changed to Daegu Metropolitan City and the all Dalseong-gun regions were incorporated into Daegu Metropolitan City in March 1st, 1995.
In November 2nd, 1938, western local branch has launched in accordance with the ordinance for installation of local branches. In August 15, 1949, with the enforcement of local government act, the name was changed to Daegu Western Local Branch. In January 1st, 1963, Daegu Western Local Branch was elevated to Seo-gu in accordance with enforcement of relief plan.
In July 1st, 1983, the district office building was constructed and moved to the current location. In January 1st, 1988, Dalseo-gu was newly established and Seongdang-dong and all Seongseo regions, and certain parts of Naedang-dong were incorporated into Dalseo-gu. Then, after elevation to autonomous district in May 1st, 1988, Seo-gu has been performing the roles of self-governing body.
- Jul. 1, 2018Inauguration of Ryu Hankuk for the mayor of Seo-gu office, Opened 8th district council
- July. 1, 2014Inauguration of Ryu Hankuk for the mayor of Seo-gu office, Opened 7th district council
- Oct. 27, 2011Inauguration of Kang Seongho for the head of Seo-gu office
- Jul. 1, 2010Inauguration of the 5th head of Seo-gu office, Opened 6th district council
- Jun. 5, 2008Inauguration of Seo Junghyun for the head of Seo-gu office
- Jul. 1, 2006Inauguration of the 4th head of Seo-gu office, Opened 5th district council
- Jul. 1, 2002Inauguration of the 3rd head of Seo-gu office, Opened 4th district council
1970 ~ 1990s
- Sep. 25, 1998Integration of Sangi-dong and Jungni-dong into Sangjungi-dong
- Jul. 1, 1998Inauguration of the 2nd head of Seo-gu ofice, Opened 3th district council
- Jan. 1, 1997Integration of Naedang 20dong and Naedang 3-dong into Naedang 2.3-dong/ Integration of Bisan 2-dong and Bisan 3-dong into Bisan 2.3-dong/ Integration of Wondae-dong 1.2-ga and Wondae-dong 3-ga into Wondae-dong
- Jul. 1, 1995Inauguration of the first head of Seo-gu office, Opened 2nd district council
- Apr. 20, 1995Partial incorporation of Dalseong-dong, Jung-gu, Gamsam, Dalseo-gu, and Jukjeon-dong/ Partial incorporation of Naedang, Jungni-dong into Dalseo-gu
- Jan. 1, 1995Changed name to Daegu Seo-gu
- Sep. 1, 1992Divided Pyeongni 5-dong to Pyeongni 5-dong and Pyeongni 6-dong
- May 1, 1988Elevated to autonomous district
- Jan. 1, 1988Incorporation of partial Naedang-dong, Shinseol-ro, all Seongseo regions, and Seongdang-dong to Dalseo-gu, Changed Naedang 70-dong to Naedang 4-dong
- Jan. 1, 1987Incorporated Wolseong-dong and Songhyeon-dong into Seongdang-dong, Bolli-dong, and Nam-gu
- Dec. 1, 1985Divided Seongdang-dong to Seongdang 1-dong and Seongdang 2-dong/Divided Naedang 6-dong to Naedang 6.7-dong/ Divided Sangjungni-dong to Sangi-dong and Jungni-dong
- Jul. 1, 1983Construction and transfer of district office building (Pyeongni 3-dong 1230-9)
- Mar. 15, 1983Abolition of Seongseo branch, Establishment of Seongseo 3-dong in Seongseo branch regions
- Sep. 1, 1982Divided Naedang 1-dong into Naedang 1-dong and Naedang 6-dong/Divided Pyeongni 3-dong into Pyeongni 3-dong and Pyeongni 5-dong
- Establishment of Seongseo 1-dong, Seongseo 2-dong, Bolli-dong in Seongseo branch regions
- Jul. 1, 1981Elevation from Daegu-si to a city under the direct control of central government. Incorporated Seongseo-eup, Dalseong-gun to Seo-gu
- Established Seongseo branch
- May 1, 1979Divided Pyeongni 2-dong into Pyeongni 2-dong and Pyeongni 4-dong/Divided Wondae-dong 1,2,3-ga to Wondae-dong 1,2-ga and Wondae-dong 3-ga
- Jan. 1, 1979Divided Bisan 5-dong into Bisan 5-dong and Bisan 7-dong/ Divided Pyeongni 1-dong into Pyeongni 1-dong and Pyeongni 3-dong
- Oct. 1, 1975Incorporated Wondae-dong 4,5,6-ga, Nogok-dong, and Joya-dong to Buk-gu
- Jul. 1, 1970Divided into Naedang-dong 1,2,3,4,5-gu and Bisan-dong 1,2,3,4,5-gu
- Jan. 1, 1966Divided Wondae-dong 3-ga into Wondae-dong 3,4,5,6-ga
- Dec. 1, 1963Divided Wondae-dong into Wondae-dong 1,2,3-ga
- Jan. 1, 1963Elevated Western Branch to Seo-gu
- Jun. 12, 1951Incorporated Joya-dong in Northern Branch into Western Branch
- Aug. 15, 1949Changed the name of Western Branch in Daegu
- Nov. 2, 1938Started Western Branch (Dalseo-myeon) in Daegu